Nothing compares to waking up surrounded by stunning natural beauty. These campgrounds offer unforgettable views to take your breath away.
1. Glacier Basin Campground, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
Nestled in the high alpine tundra at over 10,000 feet, this remote campground provides front-row seats to some of the most dramatic Rocky Mountain scenery. Towering peaks encircle emerald lakes and rushing streams, with wildflowers blooming in summer. It feels like the edge of the world. Only accessible via a challenging off-road trail, the sense of isolation magnifies the natural splendor.
2. Jenny Lake Campground, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
Graceful granite spires known as the Cathedral Group rise dramatically from the valley floor at this premier campground. Wake to panoramic vistas of the jagged Teton Range reflected in the sapphire waters of Jenny Lake. Lush evergreen forests and abundant wildlife like moose and bears add to the rugged natural beauty. Popular and accepting reservations a year in advance, it’s worth planning ahead for front row seats to a mountain masterpiece.
3. Moraine Park Campground, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
Majestic peaks tower over rolling meadows dotted with wildflowers at this mid-elevation campground. Herds of elk may graze nearby as the Never Summer Mountains glow orange at sunset. Explore lush forests and beaver ponds or gaze at stars unobstructed by light pollution. Less remote than Glacier Basin, it offers frontcountry convenience with stunning high country ambiance.
4. Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Colorado
Camp right on the rim of an immense chasm at Warner Point Campground for dizzying views into the deepest canyon in North America. Vivid layers of volcanic and sedimentary rock stripe the nearly vertical cliffs plunging over 2,000 feet, with the meandering Gunnison River far below. Watch the interplay of light and shadows or spot raptors soaring on the thermals. The raw beauty stuns at every turn.
5. Yosemite Valley Campground, Yosemite National Park, California
Sleep beneath towering sequoia groves with El Capitan and Half Dome looming above emerald meadows. Awake to misty waterfalls cascading down sheer granite faces as deer graze the valley floor. Iconic vistas abound from this centrally-located campground, with hiking trails winding through wildflower-strewn forests. Watch the landscape transform with the light or glimpse rare wildlife like black bears. No visit to Yosemite is complete without spending a night in its breathtaking heart.
While natural beauty can be found in parks and forests across the country, these select campgrounds offer front-row seats to some of North America’s most spectacular scenery. Pitching a tent with postcard panoramas as your backdrop creates unforgettable memories to last a lifetime. With patience and planning, reserve a spot in one of these scenic settings for a camping trip like no other.
A few more tips for maximizing scenic campground stays:
- Visit seasonal waterfalls in spring or vibrant wildflower displays of summer for added natural beauty.
- Get to campsites early, as prime spots with the best views fill up fast in high season.
- Bring binoculars or a camera to observe landscape details and wildlife up close.
- Enjoy scenic hikes or drives during the day, then relax at night with a campfire and stars.
- Respect quiet hours so all can enjoy nature’s serenity after dark.
- Leave no trace – pack out all trash and follow all park regulations to preserve these special places.
With idyllic backdrops and opportunities for adventure, these top scenic campgrounds create unforgettable outdoor memories against breathtaking natural vistas.