Manchester United travel to face Real Sociedad in the Europa League this evening as both teams look to top Group E.
Erik ten Hag’s side are three points behind La Real and need to win by two or more goals to leapfrog their opponents and take top spot.
The Red Devils’ only defeat in the Europe so far this season came against the Spanish side at Old Trafford in their opening game of the group stage.
Since that result, the hosts have won every game in the competition, scoring ten goals and only conceding one in the process.
With the winner of the group heading straight to the last 16 and avoiding a play-off against the strong teams dropping down from the Champions League, both sides will be desperate for the victory.
Real Sociedad vs Manchester United: talkSPORT coverage
This Europa League clash will take place on Thursday, November 3.
Kick-off at the Reale Arena is scheduled for 5:45pm.
talkSPORT 2 will provide live coverage of the all the action.
Commentary comes from Alex Crook and former England striker Dean Ashton
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream.
You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Real Sociedad vs Manchester United: Team news
Takefus Kubo has been ruled out for Real Sociedad with a dislocated shoulder. He will be joined by former Man City midfielder David Silva and Mikel Oyarzabal on the sideline.
However, right-back Alex Sola is expected to return to the squad after recovering from injury.
For Man United, Victor Lindelof missed the win over West Ham at the weekend through illness but could be back on Thursday.
Antony was also absent with a knock but was at Old Trafford for the game and is expected to have recovered in time to play a part.
Real Sociedad vs Manchester United: What has been said?
Red Devils left-back Luke Shaw is looking forward to the knockout stages with the quality of their opponents improving.
“We don’t want to be in the Europa League, we want to obviously be in the Champions League,” he said.
“But I think, with the teams dropping down, it will become a bit of a step up and I think that’s good for us. We want to be playing against the best teams.
“It’s a competition that we need to win.”
Real Sociedad vs Manchester United: Match facts
- Real Sociedad have enforced the most high turnovers of any team in the UEFA Europa League this season (61), while only Fenerbahçe (7.3) have allowed their opponents fewer passes on average for each defensive intervention (PPDA of 7.5).
- Manchester United have won six of their last seven away games in the UFA Europa League (L1), scoring 19 goals across those seven games at an average of 2.7 per match.
- Real Sociedad have won their last two home matches in the UEFA Europa League, as many wins as in their previous 10 such games in the competition (D4 L4). They last won three consecutive home matches in a single season in major European competitions in 1998-99 in the UEFA Cup.
- Manchester United have lost their last two matches against Spanish opponents, against Atlético de Madrid last season and Real Sociedad this season – they last lost three in a row against Spanish clubs between December 2018 and August 2020 (four games).
- Real Sociedad defeated Manchester United on MD1 of this season’s UEFA Europa League, earning their first victory against the Red Devils at the fifth attempt – also scoring their first goal in this fixture.
OFFER OF THE DAY
Bet365: Bet £10 Get £50 In Free Bets* – CLAIM HERE
Open account offer. Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply 18+ Begambleaware.org
- Real Sociedad vs Manchester United LIVE commentary: Red Devils need to win by two goals or more against La Real to top group in Europa League
- Check all news and articles from the latest Football updates.