Director – Software Engineering
The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a Director, Software Engineering. This role will be responsible for the development and maintenance of software projects within Baseball Operations. This position will report to the Vice President, Assistant General Manager.
- Perform general development and maintenance tasks for the upkeep of internally developed software products.
- Use modern software techniques and best practices in all parts of the software life cycle.
- Supervise, provide feedback, and guide project work conducted by external consultants.
- Manage the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
- Provide coverage for the maintenance of software tools for other developers as situations arise.
- Assist with the design and development of new software products.
- Monitor, identify and recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, and algorithms.
- Meet with vendors and make recommendations for investment in new data and technology resources.
- Other projects as directed by the Baseball Operations leadership team.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, similar technical field of study, or equivalent real-time experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge in developing in a Web-based object-oriented product environment.
- Minimum of four (4) years of programming experience in and strong knowledge of the following technologies:
- Java and Developing Java Web-based Applications
- Full Stack Development experience is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge in working with medium-to-large-scale relational databases.
- Expert level SQL Skills – Microsoft SQL Server experience is a plus.
- Ability to work in all phases of the product lifecycle, from requirements gathering to design, testing, and implementation.
- Experience deploying and managing web applications in the cloud, Azure preferred.
- Ability to learn new technologies and techniques as necessary.
- Familiarity with the sport of baseball, baseball-specific data, modern statistical techniques, and sabermetric analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction.
- Demonstrated project management, problem-solving, and teaching abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate difficult and complex concepts to colleagues possessing a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Team player.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with NoSQL Databases.
- Knowledge of streaming video.
- Experience or knowledge in any of the following technologies is a plus.
- Spring applications
- REST APIs
- GraphQL APIs
- Service Bus messaging
- JUnit and Mockito for backend test cases
- Angular JS – Version 1.x a plus
- Build Tools (Maven, Gulp, and Bower)
- DevOps Pipelines and CI/CD deployments
- Karma Test Cases
- Docker and Container Services
- Site Monitoring (Azure App Insights)
- Office environment; open to remote employees.
- Evening, weekend, and holiday hours are required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
To apply, please follow this link.
The content in this posting was created and provided solely by the Detroit Tigers.
- Job Posting: Detroit Tigers – Director, Software Engineering
- Check all news and articles from the latest MLB updates.